Many of my followers are often looking for quick, easy ways to keep in contact with their network. While I will always remind them that keeping the network intact takes effort, here are a few ideas to keep in contact with encouraging birthday messages instead of the same simple “happy birthday” on social media ..which has a) become a standard and is not unique or b) gotten lost in the crowd of others who say and do the same thing. Here are ideas to help your birthday message stand out in the crowd and be remembered.
1. Say something that speaks to their interests. For example is you know they are an avid golfer, consider, “Have you considered making your born day a year-long celebration? Have you considered a round of golf on the day of your birthday each month this year?” You can purchase a round for them at their favorite golf course that would be a bonus with you as part of the foursome.
2. Say something sincere. Mention an accomplishment from the prior year or a goal of theirs for this birthday year. I know you are a supporter of <insert organization name here> organization. For your birthday, I have donated in honor of your birthday. Alternatively, you can suggest before their birthday that on social media, they consider asking their network to contribute to his/her cause of choice in recognition of their birthday with a financial goal. You can be the first participant. Maybe you offer to call the organization and set up the logistics with your connection’s permission.
3. Say something witty that is not common knowledge. For example, mention something that happened on their birthday or birth date that is historical. This information is easy to find with a google search. You can opt to say it with a physical birthday card that won’t get lost in the fray of social media posts, voicemails, and text messages.
4. Say something with a gift card. If you know your contact enjoys a particular café, send a gift card with a cup of their favorite beverage on you.
5. Say something with a birthday card to each person on your team. Be known for recognizing the birthday of each staff member on your team. Send them a card with a personalized greeting. For ease of logistics, you can cue all of these up at the beginning of each year and mail them at the tail end of the prior month to all with a birthday in the upcoming month.
You do not have to be limited to these options. Create your own. I’d like to hear other creative ways to honor a birthday.